Monday, February 23, 2009

The Stages of Sick


We are in the final stages of a nasty cold, that I know is going around. I was pondering today about whether or not I might have to call in sick on Wednesday, and decided I should probably go to work. My children, for the most part, have made it easy to predict the length and severity of an illness by each going through similar stages.

The first stage, I like to call the, "You had better be getting sick," stage. That is where they are moody, pester-y, and downright obnoxious, with a hint of droopy eyes. This tells me that, although my normally sweet little boy or girl, is misbehaving, it is only because the germs are starting to hyper-divide in their little bodies. I will admit, I have been tricked a time or two, when the next morning they wake up normal, and I have to attribute the naughtiness to excess sugar, or their Broadbent genes. This is a painful stage, but with the amount of illnesses my children seem to pick up, I know that relief is around the corner with the second stage.

The second stage, also referred to as the, "Hell Yeah! A Fever!!!" stage. Now I hate to see my kids sick or with aches and pains, but it is a part of life and there ain't nothing wrong with enjoying a lethargic, snugly kid. My boys still give me lots of loves, but they rarely hold still long enough to truly snuggle. Plus this stage will hopefully give me the "warm and fuzzies" long enough to get through the last stage..

The final stage, and often the final straw, is the "I'm Feeling Good Enough to be Hyper, Yet Bawl For an Hour When My Tylenol Wears Off," stage. There is a lot of information in that last title, so I probably don't need to explain that anymore than, that is the stage we are in today. Yay!

Dylan was the last of us to get the cold, and I think it is safe to say we are now in the clear. My babies are all getting back to their normal, happy, rambunctious selves and I am thankful that our illnesses are minor and only come in three stages.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I love it! I especially love the "love a fever" part. Sam hasn't been sick yet, but the teething swings are pretty much on par with yours. I totally love that he gets all snuggly then!

    ReplyDelete