Sunday, July 26, 2009

Derb to the Yizzle


Since July of last year, when we missed the Derby, the Boys have reminded me on a daily basis how terrible their summer was. Never mind, that I feed and clothe them, take them to the skate park, read to them, wrestle and play with them, zoo trips, bike rides, whatever, all they remember is they missed the Derby. It didn't even help when I reminded them of all the high class, non-starving kids that will never see a Derby in their life, and we just simply missed a year.


I guess just because I am an incredible Mother, and Dave has a friend on the Search and Rescue, I remembered the SPRING deadline for ticket orders. It amazes me that people are even thinking about demolition in the Spring, but it is a big deal in our redneck of the woods.


The kids could barely contain their enthusiasm, and were visibly buzzing in their seats. The first heat had a good crash with one of the cars landing on top of another one, and it just about put them over the edge. We stayed for all three hours of hardcore Demolition Derby. The only lull in the action happened during the powder puff heat. There were only about 5 women who drove, and they didn't hit very hard. Dawson kept trying to talk me into driving next year, "Mom, you have got to do the derby! You drive really fast, and you aren't even scared to hit stuff with the car." That's about the time Dave was interested in quizzing Dawson about if I had recently hit something with the car. Thankfully, the fireworks started up, and I suggested we all be quiet, so we could hear them. We all had a bang up time.







No comments:

Post a Comment