Sunday, August 2, 2009

Lake Powell:Take 2

The drive to Lake Powell is nearly as excruciating as my sunburned butt creases, when I forget to lather up the 'screen. It is amazing where the sun, does shine, when you aren't expecting it too. Before the chitlins came along, it was always me asking how much further, but now they have assumed the questions, and so we can be annoyed at them together, instead of at each other.

With hundreds of trips along the same route, we spend part of the time pointing out interesting Broadbent Family landmarks, like "Remember when Dylie spewed all over his car seat, right around this corner?" or "Remember when we threatened to leave the Boyz at that abandoned 'Buffalo Jerky' Hut?"

Some of the landmarks, we haven't shared with the kids yet, like the tiny little Tire Store about 60 miles outside of Price. When Dave and I were just dating, I made him stop there for a potty break, and when I burst into the station, clutching my crotch, and bouncing up and down, the old S.O.B told me I couldn't use his bathroom. I only argued for a moment before I spotted the big propane tank out in the sage brush. I bounced out and popped a squat behind the tank, but only for a minute, because out came the ornery S.O.B, waving a big stick and screaming, "Ain't nobody gonna piss in my yard!" I took off for the truck, where Dave and his friend, Brandon, sat shell shocked. I barely made it since I hadn't taken the time to pull up my shorts, and I was laughing so hard. It all turned out alright though, Dave married me in the end, despite my character flaws. He still shakes his head when we pass the little store, even though it has been out of business for a long time.

We didn't get into Bullfrog until 9:45 and had to launch the boat in the dark. It was a little scary, but we managed. While we were getting unloaded, Dawson hollered for me to take a look at a spider he had found. It was sitting on the back seats of the houseboat, and it was the most massive spider I have ever seen. It was probably the same size as a tarantula, but not as thick. I took my flip flop off to smash it and couldn't bring myself to actually hit it. I tried about 5 times, but each time I chickened out, thinking I didn't want spider brain matter anywhere on me. Dave finally came around and I got the courage to smack it. The spider imploded and I scooped it up and flipped it out into the lake. Nasty.

The next morning we went out and scouted around for a great spot. We found it, out around Hall's Bay, and decided that Dave and I could maneuver the houseboat out by ourselves. It is typically a 3 man job, but we did not want to lose the sweet beach that we found and there wasn't any wind, so we decided to go for it. Long story short, the wind came up and we had a scary, exhausting trip. We made it though and enjoyed one of the best spots in a long time.


Dave practicing his "Pole Moves" while trying to set up the umbrella. He should do some moonlighting because Shortie got game.
The Boys love to fish off the top of the houseboat for cat fish.




I don't know how they continue to have energy to dance long into the night.
And of course, the games.....

The Boys learned some valuable gambling skills, playing poker for Swedish fish with Uncle Kent.


... and Baby Ring Toss

More catfish




Dawson and Dylan both had some firsts this trip. Dawson decided he wanted to try wake boarding and did awesome. He is so fearless it is scary.



Dylan took to the knee board by himself and got so comfortable he was doing tricks, like 'Look Ma, no hands!' He did really well, until he tried to bail off the knee board and it rolled on him and trapped him under the water. Dave and I were both off the back of the boat and to him in about 30 seconds, but I was worried that he would be nervous around the water. He brushed it right off, and was tubing and swimming in no time.









Boys, Boys, Boys.

The kids most favorite thing about Powell is the slide.







It was a great trip and totally worth the 10 hours round trip car time.

No comments:

Post a Comment