Sunday, November 29, 2009

Final Score: Cougars-Still Suck, Utes-Always Classy

Daveskins and I hit the football game last night and had a blast. We left the Hoodlums with Fred and Carol, and got to spend the day with each other. There is such a great feeling, about being able to leave the kids, and not worry about them. It almost made me forget about Dave's hideous get-up. What can I say, he is pretty damn funny, and so fun to hang out with, I can overlook his taste in Football teams every once in awhile.

Before we made our way up the bleachers, I had to make a pit stop at the toilets first. I nonchalantly nudged open the door and started to make my way to a row of stalls, when out of the corner of my eye, I saw the weirdest thing ever. I had to back up, and I am sure people were staring at me, with my mouth wide open, and muttering, "what the crap?" But the bathroom set up, was unlike one I had ever seen. First, a row of twenty or so stalls, then a row of twenty or so sinks, then......... a row of like, 100 recliners, each with a lactating mother and infant attached.

Breast is best, fo shizzle. Not denying that, and I am in total support of breastfeeding; even public breastfeeding, it was just the sheer number of Lactators that stopped me in my tracks. It would be a lie, if I didn't say I wasn't immediately flashed back to a time in my youth that my friend B.J. took me on a tour of his family's dairy farm. Welcome to Provo. Totally weirded out.

We sat in a great mix of fans. To Dave's left were a couple of middle aged, male Ute fans, who were three sheets to the wind before the game even started, and what little they knew about football, made up for in bull crap. Behind us, even older BYU fans, who did know a thing or two about the game, but kept spitting out little inspirational sayings, like, "they just need to remember the try, in triumph." and other irritating tidbits. To my right, two teenybopper girls, who texted and giggled the whole time, and claimed to be Ute fans.. so embarrassing. Lastly, but most entertaining, were the five rowdy Ute fans right below us that cheered and taunted the vast sea of blue surrounding us.

I felt a little bad for Dave last night, as he texted my Dad, to complain about my loyalty to the U. He was completely unprepared, for my Dad's return text that put him in his place. I can't even imagine what part of my Dad, Dave might have even thought would support BYU. Dave just sat there in shock, and I kept trying to help him make sense of it, I kept saying things like, "Hon, you know my Dad is a Hoodlum. He is a Democrat. You know how liberal he is." It was sad, but hilarious as Dave turned his surprise at my Daddio's betrayal into a text attack on the U. Dave lashed out at my Dad with a text about how the U fans were all drunken idiots. I laughed my butt off when the next message was a picture message of my Dad, decked out in his U of U Hoodie, and my Mom, in some sort of tube top, (not looking pleased) with both of them holding long necked "brewskies." BTW Mom- Dave erased the text as promised

As the Cougar fans stormed the field at the end of the game, Daveskins and I, made our way back to the truck with little harassment. I got a few comments, about my Ute wear, but nothing disrespectful. We finished off the night at the Pizza Factory, and got to see Hannah, and celebrate/grieve with some awesome grub. She takes great care of us. The restaurant was dead when we got there, but as we were leaving the waiting area was packed with mass Cougar fans. I lead the way out, and just as we got to the door, I spotted another Ute fan. We exchanged no words, just a solemn high five, and comfort in the knowledge that at least we aren't BYU fans.


Dave snapping a picture after my quarterback got sacked.


Touchdown! Whoopee.








The kids had a great time with Grandpa Fred and Grandma Carol. They don't get to spend a whole lot of time with them, and they were so excited. They had a blast swimming in the hot tub, riding the four wheeler and just being with them. It was a great weekend.

4 comments:

  1. We are Ute fans through and through!!! We follow them when they are close and make it a point to travel to most of their bowl games as well. Noting like when they stomped Bama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, not offended and you can even borrow my toob top if you want...

    ReplyDelete
  3. you must have had a sweet hook up to get the tickets...and an even better hookup to get a babysitter for four days! Damn, I'm good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Jay said you guys came into Ruby River! He told me to tell you that next time say hi a little earlier and he will try and get you some free food! :-)
    Hope you guys are enjoying the holidays. We will have to get together again soon!

    ReplyDelete