Saturday, November 6, 2010

Dawson's Baptism

 
What a day. Dawson was practically glowing. Some people might say that eight is too young to make a decision like Dawson did today. Some eight year olds couldn't, but not Daws. He already understands more than I do about the power of prayer, and has such a simple, undeniable faith in Heavenly Father.


Dylan couldn't keep his hands off Dawson. It was hysterical to watch, and I don't think Dyl even realized all of the petting he was doing to Dawson. They are the very best of friends. During the opening song, Dyl was singing as loud as he could. The thing about Dyl, is that he has Dave's deep, deep, voice. The other thing about Dyl, is that he usually sings about 2 measures behind everyone else, and it is usually the same note throughout the whole song. We were sitting on the last row, and had every last head turned around to see who was singing so awesome. Dyl seemed completely unfazed by the attention and continued right on in his baritone voice, he wasn't even caught off guard when they sang the second and third versus of I Am a Child of God, which he didn't know, and just loudly substituted the first verse for the rest of the song.



Em had a similar problem to Dyl, in that she couldn't keep her hands off Dawson either. There was a lot of supportive petting going on.


After the baptism, we went to another room and my Dad confirmed Daws. It was pretty incredible. The Bishop asked Deann, and myself to bear our testimonies, and I was so glad to have a chance to share my testimony with Dawson and the rest of my family on a small scale. This may come as a shock to some, but I am very private with some aspects of my life. Gran-pa Ranny said something in Dawson's confirmation about how Dawson is a lover of truth, and how the Holy Ghost would be Dawson's witness of all things that are true. That is Dawson to the letter.  He also gave Dawson a special blessing that others around him would be able to feel the Holy Ghost through him. I know that is true, because I struggle sometimes, not with belief, but with obedience, and I am often caught off guard by the example and feeling that Dawson exudes in our home. 

Dylan gave Dawson a special present when we got home from the church. It was three "helicopter leaves" taped to a paper that said, 'I LOVE YOU!' When Dawson opened it he read it out loud, with Dyl hovering over his shoulder. Dylan was quick to point out that it didn't just say, I Love You, he told Daws, "It says I LOVE YOU, with an I really mean it sign."  Which is what he was calling the exclamation mark.


We are so lucky to have such a great family surrounding us and supporting us. I love having Dave's family close enough to be involved in our everyday lives, and we really loved having my parents here. Hannah and Will, dropped everything to be there, and Mall drove from Vegas all by herself without Jeff just to be close. Dawson got a special package in the mail from Jordan and Hope, and was on cloud nine for days. He is a lucky kid to have so many people care about him. I am so thankful for family.

It's what it is all about.


No comments:

Post a Comment