Saturday, July 2, 2011

Time To Be Parents Again.

Oh the time flew by, but it was great to see the kids again. Dave and I flew out to Virginia to retrieve them, but not without a week long vacation at my parents house before we headed home!

Dawson's favorite food is fish. My Dad finds and frequents the best places to eat wherever he goes. He decided that Daws just had to try  Horace and Dickies in D.C. The only thing my Dad ever tells us about a restraurant is about the food, so when we pulled up to this garage in the projects and everyone got out but my mom, I asked her what she was doing, and she said, "Oh Honey, you don't park in a place like this."
O.k., but should I let my outspoken children out in a place like this? We stood in a long, hot line, waiting to cram ourselves into this take-out only establishment. The other people in line were not friendly and not happy to see us there. Once we got to the doorway though, my dad hollered out, "Hey Big Momma!" to the mammoth women running the counter. She asked him for his order in front of all the people and then he paid and we got out of there. The boys were laughing because she kept calling them sugar. Dave and I were laughing because we were so glad we all made it out alive.
This place doesn't have any prices listed, they just decide how much you pay when you get to the cashier. Thankfully we were with my Dad, because we got about 8 pieces of fish, the size of dinner plates, fries, some white bread and hot sauce for $6. I'm thinking, if Dave and I had happened upon this place by ourselves, it would have cost more, if they gave us any at all.
My dad can fit in anywhere.

You might have thought we would be happy with all our fish, but that was mostly for Daws. The rest of us were holding out for Ben's Chili Bowl. We have been coming here since my parents moved East, 14 years ago. Once again, my dad is a favorite here and we love their half-smokes covered in onions and chili. This can be a very scary part of town to visit, especially if your dad picks you up at the airport after a red eye and decides you need a half-smoke at 3AM. Scary for sure, but always delicious.

Ems had really grown up while away from us, she couldn't wait to show us how she had mastered the monkey bars.



We went on a crazy amount of hikes while in Virginia. There is no shortage of awesome trails!



My Dad!




Em and Dave trying to catch a frog, or a turtle

Catching fireflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment