Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Room Mutha

Having my first child in elementary school, I was naive and a little overwhelmed, when at Back To School Night, they shoved a million permission slips in my face. I just kept signing my name, so that my Kindergarten Baby could participate in whatever activity they were thrusting at us. In my haste, I was not perfectly clear on the Room Mother volunteers, so I checked the box, saying I would help. My version of help, would be sending a store-bought treat to school with my little man.

At Parent Teacher Conference last month, after a glowing report, his teacher, announced that I had been assigned the Halloween Party. Apparently, when I got the invitation to the "PTA Room Mother Tea," instead of laughing hysterically, I should have dressed in my best biker skank outfit and raised my pinkie with the other Room Mothers.

Today was the dreaded party. I almost threw up on the way to the school, but luckily, my awesome sister came up to help me, and she was very soothing. I had been stressing over whether to dress up or not, but after perusing my closet, Naughty Nurse, Naughty Highway Patrol, ect. I decided not to. I called two other mothers that I didn't know, to help with the party, and they of course showed up in costume. I didn't feel to bad though, because they blended in with the 10 other witch costumes.

The whole party was worth the stress when I walked into the classroom and saw Dawson light up. He kept saying, "That's my mom! That's my ShannaHannah!" I was glad to have him so proud of me. We spent the morning reading Halloween stories, doing crafts, playing games, and eating treats. He told me over and over what a sweet party I had thrown, and how much he loves me, and that is why I am proud to be a Room Mutha.

No comments:

Post a Comment