Thursday, January 7, 2010

When You Are This Flawed, A New Year, Nor Resolution, Ain't Gonna Make A Difference

New Year's Resolutions bite the big one. I never make any with a straight face, and I wish I could take full responsibility for my actions, but I have a terrible, debilitating disease beyond my control. You may not have heard of it, but it is called, Apathy-itis. Basically, inflammation of my Apathy. I think I may have caught it at work, from another nurse, but she is well on her way to recovery, so there might be hope. Please don't pity me, that hurts far more than my actual illness.

This morning at work-out, I was bullied into joining a Biggest Loser contest. I have nothing against losing weight. I know the health benefits, I know the shopping benefits, but I also know the side effects of introducing fruits and vegetables into your diet, as does my poor family.

Case in point, the last time I veered off into healthy land, we were driving in the car; the Boyz were banished to the third row as usual, when I hear Dawson start gagging and say, "Oh yikes, it smells like a dead raccoon." Dylan offered that it was definitely more of a "dead skunk with elk or deer pooh on it" type smell. After a few minutes of debate between them, and a quick scan of the roadside from either window, Dawson shook his head and told Dylan, "It's Mom."

Wonderful. This should be a great 12 weeks for everyone.

I had to make a run to Park City this morning for some new underwear. Dawson has a little, of what I thought to be OCD. He says every morning before school that his stomach hurts, and do I think it will get better after he goes to school. I always say yes, and he doesn't complain about it after school. Yesterday morning, he volunteered, that he thought his undies may be a bit tight. I had him drop trow, for inspection, and all I could say was, "Damn!" The poor kid doesn't have a speck of excess fat on his lanky frame, but all that he could muster, was painfully bulging out over the top of his SpongeBob undies. It's no wonder he has had a stomachache. I offered to cut him out of his tourniquet, with permission to go au naturale for the day, but he declined.

Whilst in the city, we stopped at Bajio for some take-out. The first weigh-in for the contest is tomorrow, so I am trying to bulk up, but I also needed to tell Humberto, that he probably wouldn't be seeing me as regularly for the next three months while I try to slim down. He just smiled politely at me, like he usually does, but I am convinced that we have bonded recently, if the 10% discount he gives me isn't considered hard evidence, then I am pretty sure the fact that he chased me down in the parking lot, to ask if I had all my "babies" counts. At least, I think that was what he was asking me. I just smiled and said, "yes."

Brittany, my B.G.F.F. was waiting for us when we got home. Emma was thrilled to have a play date with Brinley, and we were thrilled for them to disappear upstairs to play, while we ate our salads and chatted. One of the things I love most about Britt, is that she respects the nap time boundaries, and can appreciate a mid-afternoon siesta, as much as I do. I don't ever have to say, "Get the hell out, it's 1:00." She needs it as much as me.

The Boys were bursting with energy when they got home, and Daws could hardly wait to show me his most recent award. He is my very own Mathlete. We are rapidly approaching the day, when unless his homework revolves around dosage calculations, or pounds to kilograms, we are going to be S.O.L. on my being able to help him. In addition to his MathFacts diploma, he got a Utah Quarter. Pretty sweet. I love this picture. Who woulda thunk I could produce a genius?


I was sitting on the tub tonight talking to Daveskins while he showered, and Dyl came creeping into the bathroom in his Pterodactyl Hunting costume. I don't know why we even buy that kid any toys. He can make believe for hours and be happy with whatever he can find. Like this mixture of Spiderman/PowerRanger/Storm Trooper costumes, a Thigh Master elastic band, a Santa hat, and an empty wrapping paper roll,(which is used as a Pterodactyl beak decoy).What a funny kid.



Dave is shooting some b-ball outside of da school tonight, and with the wee ones tucked snugly into bed, I am glad to have a little time to myself this evening. After I am done documenting these important snip-its of our life, for posterity's sake; hopefully I will have time, to lay out my sports bra for tomorrow, line up my fiber bars, and make a list of all the delicious health foods I am looking forward too.

I don't really have any New Year's Resolutions, but I do have a few items that I plan on working on. I am mentally referring to them as short-term goals, as to not set myself up for immediate failure. We'll see how it goes.

Dave just got home. I love listening to the re-cap of the County Basketball Rec League, especially if it is a late game that I can't make. Very exciting stuff. These aging Hoopsters may get slower, and lose some in their vertical leap, but what they lack in youth, they make up for in passion and obscenity. My favorite part of the re-cap tonight- ".....Cherry-Pickin' Bastard....." It's fun because he is still spitting mad, and I love to hear him swear, it is so few and far between.
Wished I could have been there.

2 comments:

  1. Another great post! I was cracking up the whole time.
    Thanks for the comment on my blog today. I am definitely going to check out those books. Your the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make my day everytime I hop on to your blog and read your posts. Thanks for sharing and making me smile and laugh! I wish I could write like you--your stories are the greatest!

    ReplyDelete