Sunday, December 27, 2009

God moves in mysterious ways.


At church today, I was sitting in Relief Society, talking to a neighbor and waiting for the meeting to start. It was nice to catch up with a few of the ladies, and I was pumped for the music. I love me some Christmas tuneage.

After a few minutes, they started the meeting and the woman conducting scanned the room and called on some of the visitors to introduce themselves. Some women behind me, stood up and gave their names and mentioned that they had just moved into the ward, and where in Oakley they lived. I turned around and smiled all friendly-like at them.

I had barely turned around, when the woman conducting said, "Laurel, would you like to introduce your friend to us." Now, Laurel is the chick I was chatting with before the meeting, so I leaned forward to greet the visitor on her other side. She looked confused and jerked her thumb to the right and said, "J.D?"

"No. Of course we know J.D. Your other friend." the woman said.

This is when I felt the tips of my ears start to burn red in embarrassment. I thought, Are... you.... shitting..... me? I slowly looked up to everyone's neck craning around to get a load of the new gal. I slowly raised my hand, "Me?"

She nodded and said, "Yes, tell us about yourself."

"Um, my name is Linsey, and I just moved into the ward.........eight years ago."

There were a few snickers and then, my other friend volunteered that I had been in the Young Women's program for a long time, (not for two years) and they welcomed me and started the meeting.

Hmm. I thought it was really funny. It's true that I work a Sunday or two a month, but after eight years of patronage, I had no idea I could fly that low under the radar. I am just kicking myself now for not giving an alias, and a fake address.

No comments:

Post a Comment