Wednesday, March 3, 2010

On Your Mark...

It came two days ago. I noticed the big brown Amazon box, as I limped in the door from work on Monday night. My heart sank. I am now the proud owner of the Garmin Forerunner 205/305. It is a tiny, lightweight, GPS, running watch. By tiny,and lightweight, of course I mean, when I can get someone to spot me, while I heave it onto my wrist, once strapped, it even makes my thighs look petite.

I caught the running bug in Phoenix, from Abbie. I have decided to train for some races this summer, and hopefully do a half marathon in August. Dave has been less than supportive, pointing out that I am doing a lot of talking about training, and not so much actual running. I tried to explain to him, that obviously I can't run without a watch like Abbie's, and I didn't want to spend extra money to expedite the shipping, so duh.

And at last it came........

In order to wipe the smirk off Dave's face, I buttered up the Boyz to train with me. Lately they have been enjoying a game, where they sprint continuously around the couch in the toy room, and Dave fires the football at them as they round the corner, then they fire it back on the flip side. They run at full speed, often as long as 30 minutes, until at last, one of them drops to the ground in exhaustion. Sometimes this drags on for awhile, since the first one to give up, has to announce his brother as, The Champion, and that is not easily done. I figured if they can sprint that long, they should easily be able to cover a 5k with me.

So when they walked in the door, I was ready to roll. Dawson kept interrogating me about the race. I can't just tell him we are going to do a Fun Run, and he will get a t-shirt. He has to know the specifics. Are their other kids? Will there be traffic? Am I sure they will have his size t-shirt? What is the terrain like? What day of the week will the race fall on? Will it interfere with his summer plans? It is exhausting. My heart rate monitor was already beeping out of control before we even left the garage. All Dyl cared about was if he could have a Jolly Rancher when we got home, and did he actually have to tie his shoes for this.

Dave was smirking his little face off as we prepared to leave the driveway. He has offered to be at one of the water stations during the race this summer with my 44 ouncer of Diet Coke, and perhaps I will take him up on it.

The first mile was great. The Boyz ran alongside of me, and we talked about their day at school, and who caused trouble on the bus ride home. Dyl kept asking me if I had brought anything to eat. In his defense, he probably noticed the size of my new watch and thought I had packed an overnight bag. Their energy deteriorated quickly after the first mile, and by the time we met Dave and Em walking to meet us, I was packing Dyl on my back. Note to self: Next time, they will ride their bikes.

It was oh so warm this afternoon, somewhere in the high 40's and it felt glorious. We spent the rest of the afternoon throwing the football, and watching the Hoodlums race down the driveway.


Running or no, I cannot freaking wait for summer.

1 comment:

  1. You are Superwoman! Walter wants one of those watches. His friend has one. They do races as well. Not me! I like the gym and the elliptical machine. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete