Tuesday, August 25, 2009

firs day off skool


Dawson started first grade yesterday, and was so excited. My Dad called to wish him well before school, and I heard Daws say, "You bet, Grannpa Ranny, I'll use the Broadbent Brains and the Daybell Charm!" Let's hope not. The "Daybell Charm" has made it difficult for any of my past teachers to believe I have become anything other than an inmate. We made it to the bus stop with plenty of time to spare, and there were I Love You's and kisses all around.

In the afternoon, Dyl and I walked up to the bus stop to meet him, and he practically floated off the bus. "Mom, you will never believe what they fed us for lunch! Home.....Made.......BREAD!"

Do you know how many times a first grader can exaggerate the words, 'home-made bread', during a quarter-mile walk? Approximately 200 times. I pretty much lost count after that, and was thrust deep into a "I'm-a-terrible-homemaker"pity party with each exclamation, even though I knew it wasn't personal. He really had a wonderful school lunch and let me know I wouldn't ever have to make him a sack lunch. Bad news. I guess I will just have to sleep an extra 15 minutes in the morning.

I am glad Daws likes school so much. He regaled us with tales of primary colors, and recess, and thoroughly enjoyed doing his math homework. I missed him while he was at school, and I am already missing the freedom of summer and no schedules. I guess it is for my own good though, since they are going to have to get good jobs, in order to support me and Daveskins in our old age.
This morning was a little different. In a better indication of how our school year will go, Dawson and I tore out of the front door, 3 minutes late, him without a sweatshirt or shoes, and myself, clad only in Dave's p.j. bottoms, and bra-less in an old t-shirt, quite a site. We stepped gingerly through the mud to where I am currently parking in the front yard, (soooo Kamas), and then flipped crap all over my front windows as I peeled out. We chased the bus for two stops, each time, Dawson flying out of the back seat and then running his little heart out, just to have the bus pull away, right as he neared the door. The first time it was funny, and he and I were both laughing. The next time, I swear the bus driver saw him, and just took off anyway which really got me T.O'd. He walked back to the car completely dejected saying, "It's only the second day of school and I am going to be late." I ended up driving him all the way to school, and he was a little early, and a lot happy, so I guess it was a success in the end. There were plenty of I Love You's and kisses, and a strong resolve to be better at time management, at least in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your posts...and those adorable kids. The offer will stand FOREVER to take them in if something shall ever (though I hope not) happen to you guys.

    I invited you again, though I used your name and the allwest address. If that is the wrong one, let me know and I'll try again.

    It was great to chat with you for a few moments today--you're a "great gal!" Seriously.

    ReplyDelete