Friday, November 16, 2007

Errands

Today we had a full day of errands, which usually means a lot of yelling and threats about being good in the store, but the boys were excited to go to "Cost-a-co" for the samples. On the way down the canyon we had a good talk about what we say about other people in public, and how loud we say it. Last Costco trip we had an incident where a very elderly asian lady came up and was cooing at the kids. Dawson was a little confused and said- "Hey, are you an old lady, or a little boy?" I whisked them right away so as not to continue to offend. I completely understood what he was talking about though. She was so old, she was starting to look young again. That same trip, we happened on a midget giving samples of sausage. I saw him before the boys did, so I just took them aside and said "the next table has a really short man, but don't say anything about it, and we can talk about it later." So we get our samples from the tiniest midget I have ever seen and the kids don't even blink an eye. I asked them a couple aisles over what they thought, and they both agreed it was the best sausage ever. Their idea of strange and mine are two different things.
They were good enough at Costco today that we went to McDonalds' for lunch. The boys looked at the toy display and didn't like what they saw, so they got salads. When we sat down in the playland, I could feel the other mother's stares as I cut up the chicken on the boy's salads and then enjoyed my own Big Mac and fries. They can eat what they want, but I don't go to McDonald's for salad.
The kids are getting excited for Thanksgiving and are full of stories from school. Dawson was telling me that the indians came on a ship called the Speeedwell, but then it broke down, so they got on the Mayflower. I tried to explain to him that the indians were already here, it was the pilgrims, but you can't tell that kid anything. Last year he came home from school and told us about Miss Terri (his preschool teacher) and how she ate for 3 days and then went on a boat and had to use the bathroom in a bucket. Dave and I thought she must have gone camping or something, so I asked her about it. She laughed and said she is never sure how much of the story the kids pick up, but she was just telling them about the pilgrims on the boat and the celebratory Thanksgiving feast, and she wasn't sure where the bathroom bucket came in.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, that made me laugh--"the sausage is good!" and not a word about the little person (I think that's the politically correct term now, Linds).

    ReplyDelete