Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving

Ah, Thanksgiving. I usually work Thanksgiving, for a mulitude of reasons, largely so that I can have Christmas off, but also for reasons that I will not say, since family members read this sometimes. Love ya!
Today I am stuck in triage, so I am able to count my many, many blessings, as I assign the different patients to their rooms. My emotions feel like a pendalum today. This morning I was put out, and irritated by the patients that were coming in, especially the patient that tried to hand me her shit in a sandwich baggie. But, I realize that my life is so good. I have everything I need and want, and my family is healthy. We have recently added a domestic violence screening to the triage. The questions are hard to ask, but the answers are even harder to hear. I love caring for immediate, life threatening illnesses and injuries, but when they are done intentionally to a person, it takes it's toll.
I had a coupon for a free turkey at Smith's, but when I went to get it they only had the "smoked" variety, which the coupon specifically said not valid for. Well, my time was running up in the kid drop and I must admit, I was curious about a "smoked" turkey, so I just scanned the checkers for the dumbest looking one and stepped in line. There was a little resistance at checkout and the checker couldn't figure out why my coupon wasn't going through. He checked the weight of the turkey about 10 times and then in exasperation just took the total off my bill. The longer I stood there the more guilty I felt, but I took my bag with the turkey and went to pick up my innocent, trusting children. On the way home I called my husband and told him what a monster I was. I told him that I was sure our turkey would taste of deceit. If my kids don't end up in jail, it will be all Dave's doing.
I just talked to Dave and asked him if our turkey tasted of dishonesty and he said no, it tasted just like ham. Hmm.. I like ham.

No comments:

Post a Comment