Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Croup

For 8 months out of the year, if we happen to catch a cold bug at our house, it turns into croup for Dylan and Emma. I don't think Dawson has ever had it, but the other two get it religiously. Yesterday, Emma woke up and I could hear the start of her Darth Vader breathing. It got worse throughout the day, so when Dave and I went to bed, I went upstairs to bring her into our bed for the night. I have never been a fan of kids in my bed, so the only time they get to sleep with me, is if I feel like they might need CPR or rescue breathing in the night.

Emma didn't have a fever when we went to bed at 10:00, but at midnight she was blazing hot, and absolutely delirious. I never thought that I would be able to go to sleep with her breathing as hard and as loud as she was, but at midnight I woke up to her telling me she had to go potty. I swear, she completely regressed with her potty training, after we moved into this house, but then chose to get back on the potty horse, in the midst of a 104 degree fever, in the middle of the night? I don't get it.

After getting up to use the bathroom, I got a little nervous. She was really working hard to breath and for the next couple of hours I thought, if she was still breathing this badly in the next 10 minutes, we are headed to the hospital. I gave her some Ibuprofen and waited. She got so delirious that she was talking non-stop. She kept saying, "Buy me a puppy. Buy me a puppy. Buy me a puppy." over and over again, and "I love YOU, the most." I finally had to concede, but I definitely love her the most, and we are definitely not getting a puppy.

We don't have any window coverings on yet, which is not that uncomfortable down here in the country, but when Emma started waving out the window behind me, I got a little freaked out. I asked her, who she was waving to, and she kept saying, "Hi, Elmo." I must have been a little delirious at this point because I didn't even dare turn around and look. Who knows, he may have been hovering right there in the window. I think Elmo is a little creepy on Sesame Street, so I most definitely don't want to see him staring in my window at 2 am.

Finally about 3:45 she passed out cold. Her breathing got better and she broke her fever. We both slept really well the rest of the night.

Tonight, I found the steroids that I got for her last bout of croup, but didn't end up using. I crushed them up and mixed them in some whipped cream and she sucked them down. Usually croup is the worst on the 3rd night so I am going to cross my fingers this works tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Lins~
    After reading your last few blogs I can't even tell you how much I miss you!! Sounds like you had an eventful Easter. I would have loved to have been there to see Emma drinking the coloring. By the way, if your bringing your child in to sleep with you in case you need to do CPR or rescue breathing isn't that a good sign maybe a ER visit is in order?!? I can't believe how big all the kids are getting. I need to stop by when I'm in town again. I hope everyone's feeling well and the pictures I can see your house in looks really nice. I'll have to stop and see it sometime. Take Care. Love, Krista

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate croup! I think we're finally outgrowing it (cross my fingers!).

    ReplyDelete