Saturday, October 31, 2009

Hallowed Ween

This morning, I put on a bra for the first time this week. After five days, it was starting to feel like I was back in high school, bra-less, care-less, and kid-less. Except of course, for the care-less and kid-less part. For the last week I have been laying on the couch with the Hoodlums, watching endless Halloween movies, eating endless Halloween candy, and swatting at the spiders crawling on Dawson's face,(fever-induced hallucinations). It was a good time.

Today, most everyone felt somewhat human again, and since the sun was shining, we decided to get out of the house. We headed to Heber for some errands, and as we loaded up in Daveskins truck, I was excited to spend the day with him. We haven't had a Saturday together for several weeks, and I was looking forward to playing with him. Dawson wanted to know what we were doing for lunch, and I let him know that we would be trying a new place.

"What's the new place?"

"Tony's Tacos"

Wah, wah,..."Aw, I don't want Mexican."

"Well I've never been there before, so I don't even know if it is Mexican. It sounds more like a hamburger place to me."

He still isn't feeling a hundred percent, so that is far as the argument went, which was nice, since I have been eating chicken noodle soup for the last 10 meals because of him.

We decided to eat first, and I was pleasantly surprised to find the Tony's Tacos, is indeed a Mexican food establishment. Who knew? Actually I wouldn't call it an establishment; "dive" would be more fitting, but I am not a restaurant snob, and the food was delish. In my perfect world, the health food pyramid would resemble typical restaurant Mexican food. It would advise that the majority of nutrition would come from cheese, beans, lard, tortillas, sour cream and meat. The pyramid could also warn against using vegetables, that couldn't be made into condiments, i.e anything that wasn't salsa or guacamole..............Yes, this is what I daydream about.

After lunch, we made a special trip to Gram's, to trick-or-treat. Her yard is covered in leaves and the kids had a great time covering each other up with leaves, and then jumping into the pile. Somehow, a rake became involved and as Gram was giving me the 4-1-1 on this weeks' obits, I was distracted by metal tines flying by the window. Dave reluctantly excused himself from our death gab session, and went outside to supervise. Sometimes I feel like the Ghost Whisperer, in that, some people look at a rake and see a harmless garden tool. I see metal tines from the window, and think one of my children has probably impaled themselves, and then panic because the closest facility is the Heber Hospital(yikes), and what if they bleed out before we can get a helicopter, and what if I don't remember kid CPR, and ........ this is probably why I choose to daydream about guacamole.

We escaped Grams without any major abdominal trauma, although she did make us take some super iffy, "cookies", that given a few more days, might be full-fledged Penicillin. Daveskins dropped E.B. and I off at the front of Smith's to replenish our refrigerator, while he took the Boyz to find some birthday invitations for Dawson, and a dumpster for the green cookies. Em and I wandered around, and got some random provisions which only reiterated to me, that I should not go shopping without a list. At the check-out I got distracted by the Earth Conservation promo, and had the bagger put my groceries in the re-usable sacks. It was very fulfilling, and now if my great-great-grandkids don't have clean air, and they try to blame that on their ancestors. Well, they can bite me. I did my part.

I had no idea my biggest obstacle in saving the earth, would end up being Daveskins. When I pulled up to the truck, and he hopped out to load the goodies, he took one look at my new bags and rolled his eyes. He threw out all sorts of hurtful labels, such as Novelty Lover, and whimsy, and then had the audacity to accuse me of not caring about the environment, just a love of something new. I told him, to kiss....... my......... a$$. Dave and I bet on a lot of things, (which I usually win) and that is how our current bet was born. Now, if I use those shopping bags, a total of two more times, he has to kiss my sweet aye-double-snakes. Both cheeks, not in a foreplay-ish way, and while saying I am the best conservationist he knows.

After we got home, the Hoodlums raced to get their costumes on and were dressed by the time our friends came over. Emma wanted Brittany to do her hair like a princess, and since I am only good at snarls and ponytails, I wasn't too offended. We walked around our old 'hood collecting candy during the warmest Halloween I remember. It was truly, lovely, and even lovelier was how exhausted the kids were by 7:00. We barely got them home and jammied, before they were toast. We then spent the rest of the night watching original versions of Friday the 13th, parts one and duex.

No comments:

Post a Comment