Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!

We had a lovely Christmas. The precious few days leading up to Christmas were spent in a vicious cycle of vomiting, crapping our guts out, rinsing and repeating. So when the actual day arrived and no one was still caught in the cycle, I gave thanks. It's funny how easy it is to count your blessings, during a time of crisis. Small things really, like having kids old enough to make it to the toilet for spewing and the like. And lest we not forget the healing powers of suppositories, orally disintegrating tablets, and Ginger Ale. Hallelujah, can I get an Amen.

Christmas Eve I ran over to Heber to pick up Gram for the holidays, which has been a tradition for us in the last 7 years. She had some last minute shopping to do, so we braved the crowds, and the puppy peddlers at the front of each of the grocery stores we went too. I have always thought that odd, that people choose to get rid of their excess puppies at the grocery store. I try to shop with a list, so that I don't get side tracked with extra novelty gifts, (the bane of my existence), but I can't really imagine going to Smith's and scanning my list; milk, bread, eggs,......Nope. I don't see an Australian Shepard Mix on here, but what the hell, throw him in, we'll figure it out. I like to think in my heart, that "whim" puppies end up having wonderful lives.

This is the fourth Christmas that Gramps has been gone, and we definitely all feel it. My family has always done fondue on Christmas Eve at my Grandparents house. This year Dave remembered his first fondue with us when we were dating. My mom told Gramps, that this was Dave's first time eating fondue, and my Grandpa could not stop saying how that was ridiculous because he remembered Dave coming the previous year. He would not give up, until I finally just said, "That was a different guy, GRAN-pa!" It was the teensiest bit awkward, but makes for a funny memory now.

Even though she is surrounded by all the kids, and Dave and I, it is impossible not to notice how lonesome my Gram is for her husband. It is strange to be in a reverse position with her now. Growing up she lived next door to us and was like a second mother. On sleep overs I was always comforted by the sounds of she and Gramps snoring away, or stirring in the night and turning over to see her tip toeing out of the room after checking on us. When she stays with us, I am now the one peeking in on her during the night, and noticing how tiny she looks, all alone, in our bed. I really missed my Gramps this Christmas, and I know she did too.

On Christmas eve, we gorged on fried steak, cheese and bread, and fudge. The kids filled up on the fruit, but I preferred the cream puffs dipped in the chocolate. The kids unwrapped their Christmas Eve p.j.s', and Daveskins, our resident seamstress, immediately went to work. It is dang tough, trying to outfit our freakishly gangly Boyz, but with Dave's nimble fingers working overtime they were darted and pinned and fit like a glove.

Afterward, we watched Dave's favorite holiday movie, The Christmas Story, and then sent the Hoodlums to bed. They were very excited, and despite Dawson daring to venture, that he had heard that Santa wasn't real, when I explained to him that one year, I decided that Santa wasn't real and ended up getting shafted with my presents; he retorted that I had probably been on the naughty list. Touche.

At least he believes there is a naughty list.

Of course the final preparations were made for Santa and his reindeer. At our house Santa is very particular about his snack. He prefers a cold Mountain Dew and a package of White Fudge Oreos.
Christmas Morning, waiting and waiting and waiting to be unleashed.


Gram waiting to be unleashed on her goodsIt always blows to get "outside" presents during the bitter cold winter months. Santa really needs to think that through a little better. Dawson was totally pumped with his Lego Indiana Jones 2 Wii game. We could have cut him off right there and he would have veged happy.
Dyl was happy with whatever he touched, including discarded wrappings and pieces of tape. His favorite present was a homemade gift from Dawson. A roping calf made from P.V.C pipe that Daws helped Dave and Kent make. I hate to encourage a rodeo career, but the kid was born bowlegged and somehow developed a very authentic cowboy drawl. It might be out of our hands.
Emma had a Pink Christmas. Her favorite present was a doll that cries, (why?) drinks out of a bottle, burps and snores. It is really creepy, but she loves it and is proving to be a good mother, although she kept bucking her baby off of Dyl's roping cow. I think that might be the reason only one of the babies eyes blinks now, making it extra creepy when she bawls. She named her baby, Dawsi.


That's how all our faces look now when the baby is around. The eye issue really makes it unsettling.
The rest of our holiday was spent in quiet bliss. We hosted our traditional Christmas morning breakfast with all of Dave's family, and anyone else that happens by. Dave makes a wicked omelet and it is fun to have everyone over. I am not certain that we even got out of our pajamas the rest of the weekend. Periodically we would call upstairs to the toy room, where the Boyz were in a Wii haze, and offer them math, spelling and trivia questions. They were able to continue playing if their answers were correct. I am kind of a video game Nazi, and only allow it on the weekends, if the weather is bad, so part of my Christmas gift to them was a little relaxation on the Wii.
It was a great Christmas, and great vacation from everything, just to be home as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment