Wednesday, August 27, 2008

"TIMBERRRRR!"

This morning, I should have known it was going to be a bad day, when I was assigned to the Khaki Pod at work.(Also known as the shit pod.)But it started out decent, as I had time to put my bag away, put on my nursey paraphernalia, and hit Starbucks, before any major drama started. I started out with only 2 patients, which was nice, and I checked my e-mail, and chatted with some co-workers for a bit, and then my radio went off, and a tech informed me he was putting a new patient in my pod. I checked the computer and saw that my new patient's chief complaint was a Priapism. For anyone not familiar with that term, it is a prolonged erection, requiring terrible things to make it better, i.e, needles, scalpels, surgery... Anyway, I followed the poor guy, and the tech into the room, and when the patient turned around, I introduced myself as the nurse that would be taking care of him today. A strange look came over his face, and he started to pat his genitalia, and then he said, "I think it is starting to go down." He stood there for a few more minutes patting himself, and then said, "Yep, I think I'm good." He practically skipped out of the ED. Then the tech started laughing, and he said, "you cured that guy, just by introducing yourself."
Talk about a blow to my ego.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I freakin love you. I saw that on that board/1st net and I was like, "What the heck is a priapism. Well, glad I now know. You're experience/description was much better than the one google would have given me. That is classic. Keep up the good stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linsey...I can always count on you for a good laugh. I saw your comment on our blog and followed it to your page because I knew it would lighten my mood. Thanks for this story. Your kids are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA! That is so dang funny! You seriously have the funniest stories Linsey :)

    ReplyDelete