Monday, March 31, 2008

I have been assaulted, had numerous bodily fluids thrown, aimed, and splashed on me, and yet I keep coming back. I love my job, and wish I could write more about it. I never have a boring day at work, and I seem to learn something every shift. I am hesitant to write too much, due to the HIPPA laws, and the high profile cases that we see, but I tonight I am tired and I want to share a little about my day.

This morning started out rough. My first patient was a LOL (little old lady) having a stroke. As I was getting report from the ambulance crew, she grabbed the scissors off my tool belt and stabbed me in the ass. Luckily for me, they were blunt bandage scissors, and didn't break the skin. The neurology crew came in right after, and I told the doc he wanted to stand on her affected side, because she was still quite strong with her other hand. He ignored me, and was promptly punched in the testicles. I laughed out loud.

Some people are really bad liars, and they lie about weird things. My patient this afternoon, could have lied about how he fractured all the bones in his feet, but instead he admitted to climbing 18 feet to the top of his roof, during a blizzard, to clean off the satellite dish, because his beloved 'Judge Judy' was fuzzy. He could have lied about his intentions to quit smoking instead of trying to convince the ortho doc for 45 minutes, that smoking is actually making him healthier. When we asked about his occupation, he got those shifty eyes and then said he was in "web design". Uh hmm, and I'm really a jockey. Whatever.

"Huffers" come in all shapes, colors, and ages. Paint, gas and glue, are no longer for the bored teenager.

2 comments:

  1. love LOVE your stories...you make me miss the U so very much:) some of my best patient stories come from those years at the U. The stories about your kids crack me up too, not surprising, they are YOUR kids;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, seriously, who got punched in the balls?!

    ReplyDelete