Sunday, May 24, 2009

Dave and I lounged in bed this morning way longer than usual, despite the long list of things "to do." Unfortunately, we both had promised our services elsewhere for the morning. Dave had a date with a neighbor and a truck load of sod, and I, a previously scheduled engagement with Gram, 25 mums, and all the local cemeteries.

I am not a huge fan of Memorial Day, or cemeteries. For me, I remember my Gramps, everyday, but not because I look at his head stone. I remember the way he laughed and the way his hands looked and felt. I think of him every time I trip, which is a lot, because he used to make fun of me for it. I prefer to think of him as the warm, loving, person he was, and not reminisce about him over a cold slab of granite with his name on it. However, my Gram loves Memorial Day, and I love my Gram, so that is what I am going to do today.

Emma and I, hit the Chevron for my liquid courage, and a gummy hot dog for her. I don't know why she likes those things, they look disgusting, but I'm not one to judge. We got to my Gram's about 10:45, beautified her, and loaded up the water soaked mums. She had a little shopping for me to do, including, my favorite, Wal-greens, which she is still convinced is the Wal-Mart everyone was boycotting.

We hit the Midway cemetery, and she gave me general instructions on where to look for my great uncle and aunt. I wandered around, nervous, because I can never remember cemetery wandering etiquette, and where I should and should not walk. I finally found Uncle Grant and Aunt Edna, plopped down their mums, and high-stepped it back to the car.

The Heber cemetery held the brunt of our Mum recipients. It only took me a couple of hours of my Gram hollering directions from the car to deliver all the flowers. At last, I only had one mum left and I asked her which relative to leave it for. She told me to put it on Edna's grave. I reminded her that we already put one on Edna's grave in Midway. She said, "Of course you did!" she left off the, you moron part, but I understood what she meant. So, I said, "Who gets this last one?" and she came back with, "AUNT EDNA" emphasized nice and slow so I could understand. Instantly it hit me, that she hadn't been out of the car all day, so I plopped the mum down on Somebody Wooton, and said, "Oh, here it is, my bad." and we were done! I know that I covered Aunt Edna in Midway, and I didn't think the Wooton guy would mind an extra mum, so it's all good.

When she got out of the car at home, she turned around and said, "I saw you give that man the finger when he cut us off." I started to snicker, and then we both laughed when she shook her head and said, "Bastard." I guess she catches on to more things than I think. I am glad she loves me, because I would be lost without her.

This evening marked a very important right of passage into the summer months. On the way into town for dinner, Dyl spotted the bread truck. The Boys immediately started begging to get out with me. As I was about ready to pay, Dave rolled down his window and yelled, "Hey Lady, get your kids knuckles out of the dip!" I could have killed him. I looked over and sure enough, the Boys looked like a couple of wild animals frolicking in the Balsamic Vinegar. They had dip up to their elbows, and vinegar stained smiles. At least they got their fill on freebies at the bread stand, because when we got home, Dave and I looked like a couple of wild animals frolicking in the Balsamic Vinegar. It has been a long winter for everyone, and any taste of summer is very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment