Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tennis season has officially arrived at 6500 feet! I love tennis, although I am not great at it, or even mediocre. Dave thinks he is Andre Agassi, and does not like to play with me. I don't blame him though, I am a button-pusher by nature and the first time he rolls his eyes as my ball goes sailing out of the fence, my only goal is to annoy him.

Today, I dug through our miscellaneous sports closet, found my racket, and knocked the dust off it. (ha ha) I had a tennis date with my friend Shanna, who didn't pout or roll her eyes even one time, and wouldn't you know it, I kept the ball in the court the whole time.

On the way to the tennis court, I realized I had not brought any balls, so I stopped at the hardware store. The line was ferocious, and I waited nervously, hoping the PoPo would not find my little hoodlums left in the car. When it was finally my turn to pay, this is how it went down at the check stand,

Checker: "Hey, you doin' a little flame throwing?"

Me: "Pardon me?"

Checker: "How's the flame throwing going?" ( He starts swinging his arms and pumping his hips)

Me: "Um...I am not sure what you are talking about."

I think the eight people behind me were a little confused as well, and getting irritated.

Checker: "What are you doing with the tennis balls."

Me: "Um. Playing tennis?"

Checker: "Oh, really? You look just like the girl that does the flame throwing, and she practices with tennis balls."

Me: "Nope sorry, just boring ole' tennis."

I signed my credit card slip and put my phone number on the bottom. I told him that if that girl comes back into the store and gives flame throwing lessons, to give her my number. That would totally come in handy at ward parties. Plus, I think after you have completed your community service, they can no longer ban you from fire. Is that how you understood it, Mom?

Anyway, we got a good hour of tennis in under a beautiful sky. Then without any warning, the wind started really blowing, so Shanna and I rounded up our kids and made a run for the cars. Emma and the Boys, were way across the field when the wind started, so Emma was fairly traumatized by the time I got to her. While I was getting them buckled in, the rain started pouring down.

Once we were safely in, Dawson said to me, "Mom, when I saw the dark clouds, my first thought was, I must gather the children, and get them to safety." I couldn't stop laughing. He is way to mature for 6 years old. What a funny kid.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, I think Dylan's going to be a police officer just to spite you...:-)

    ReplyDelete