Friday, June 26, 2009

Hihowareya! Hihowareya!

This is the face I had to look at whilst trying to convince Dave he wanted to go to the Pow Wow.



Then I got this one, when I whipped out my secret weapon.
Three little words for you, Nava........HO........Tacos.




Unfortunately, Dave is not as excitable about tacos as I am, but with a little bartering, I was able to lure him to the Pow Wow. The Boys were very excited about going. We have had some extensive conversations about Native Americans, and how they are not extinct, and live just like we do. I thought, what better way, to show how regular they are, then to take them to the Pow Wow, and let the Boyz see the them just chillin' in their regular ole' Eagle feathers, war paint, head dresses and loin cloths............ Plus, I had an argument to win.

Dawson and I, have been bickering over the ethnic background of one of his classmates for the last several months. He insisted that she was Indian, because she knew a lot about Indians, and basically, because she told him that she was an Indian. Knowing everything about everything, as I usually do, I told him that she was Hispanic. I have seen and talked with this cute girl at the school parties, and besides her name being very similar to "Maria Martinez", and having darker skin, I just knew she was Hispanic.

The Pow Wow was great. I bawled during the Grand Entry, which felt a little lame, especially with Dave rolling his eyes at me, but I am totally moved by seeing people who have so much history, pay so much respect to their ancestors. We watched several dances and then made our way down to the taco stands. Our dinner was great. I got a titch nervous watching the chitlins put down so much chili, but only half as nervous as Dave got, watching me scarf the beans. We walked around the booths and the Boyz got some ideas for next year's birthdays, and Christmases. I hope they aren't too disappointed when they don't open up arrowhead spears, roach clips, or hand-carved hunting daggers.





As we were leaving, I remembered that the only pictures I had taken were of the tacos. Oh, the shame. Anyway, I persuaded Daveskins and Daws, to run back and snap a token picture of an actual Native American. I loaded up Emma and Dyl, and drove the truck up to the entrance where Dave and Dawson were waiting. They were just beaming and couldn't wait to get in the truck. When Dave got in, I asked him what he was grinning about. He said he was just laughing about Dawson running into a friend when they went back to get pictures. Dawson jumped in the truck and got right in my face to let me know that he saw his little "Hispanic" friend all dudded up and dancing around the circle with the rest of her Native American family. The little punk made me apologize to him about 50 times on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment