Sunday, June 14, 2009

We had a great day yesterday. Dave and I, have both needed new shoes for a long time now, but have been putting it off, due to lack of time and desire. We took the kids with us, since it would be too painful to waste a date night, shoe shopping. We obviously didn't remember how painful it was to go shoe shopping with all the kids either.

Dawson tried to be helpful by bringing any size 13 shoe he could find for Dave to try on. Dylan just plopped down on the bench and repeatedly asked, 'how much longer?' Emma ran wildly through each store trying on any shoe she could reach, and losing both of hers in the process.

It is funny to watch the desperation equation play out. During the morning, Dave and I actually only tried on shoes that we liked the looks of. By early afternoon, we were getting less picky, and by 4:00, Dave was just trying on anything in his size. I had given up my search a couple of hours earlier, and had assumed the horse stance, circling the kids and trying to keep them from touching each other. I know when Dave has reached his shopping limit, because he says stuff like, "They fit pretty good," but limps up and down the aisle trying to convince himself. At one point, he was asking my opinion, and I said, "They don't look terrible........ not super terrible......"and then I just lost it. They were the most hideous shoes I had ever seen. I couldn't stop laughing, I would rather have Dave be the target of every bully, including myself, then stay in that store one second longer.

Dave eventually managed to find a couple of pairs of shoes that would work, and then we were off to visit his grandparents. On the way to Lehi, we passed the prison, which always sparks a few questions. The topic of the day was prison food. The Boyz wanted to know what prisoners eat. I told them a thimble of water, and then whatever food you hate, the prison chefs make that for every meal. Dawson said that was dumb because he would just say he hated bread or something that he really liked. So for the rest of the trip we took turns saying the foods we would "hate" in prison.

When we hit Lehi Main Street, we started in on the threats. "Now remember, Grandma and Grandpa are really old and we can't scare them by arguing, yelling, ect...." By the time we had reached their street, it was more like, " Seriously, your bikes will be gone, if there is any trouble." Then, just before the door opened, I hissed at them, "No joke, we WILL go to a nice, sit down restaurant for dinner if there is ANY trouble." They knew enough to cut off their protests when the door opened, and we had a nice visit.

Even though the kids were pretty good, while we visited the Grandparents, we decided to take them to Tempanyaki. They agreed when we told them, that they would start the table on fire, and toss sharp knives in the air. A play land really pales in comparison, when you have knives and fire. It was a good dinner, but when the chef kept bouncing shrimp off Dylie's face, it made my night. Dylan was a little apprehensive at first, but then he got into it, and really tried to catch one in his mouth. After 6 attempts the guy ran out of shrimp, but a few had ricocheted off Dylan's face and onto his plate, and he happily scarfed them down.

The kids were ready for bed when we got home, and we tucked them in and settled down to watch a movie. Every once in a while, I have those moments where I think, Damn, I am getting old. We rented Valkyrie, and I could have sworn instead of Dave and I watching the movie, it was my grandparents. Every few minutes, one of us would ask, "What did they just say?" Then the other one would admit they had no idea, and we would rewind and try it again. I about wet my pants when the airplanes started buzzing around, so then it was a constant struggle to turn up the volume when they were talking, and then hurry and turn it down for gunfire and airplanes.

It's a sad day, when you realize you might be too old for surround sound, but a happy day when you don't have to buy shoes for awhile.

1 comment:

  1. You could do what my parents do and subtitle the movies...My dad would rather put up with that than listen to my mom go "What? What'd they say?" :-)

    ReplyDelete